Are you about to move? Take a deep breath and relax. You know you have a bunch of items that need to be moved and your first instinct may be to just start packing everything you see in front of you. But hold on! That is not the right way to do. Before you begin you will need to plan ahead.
Planning is essential when packing your items. Make sure you have all the right packing supplies:
- Bubble wrap
- Marking pen
If you don't know how much packing supplies you'll need, call your removalist and talk to one of their moving experts. Having the correct box size is also important. Small boxes should be used for your heavier items (books, CDs, DVDs, etc.) and large boxes should be used for light items (lamps, bedding, linens, etc.)
If you haven't started packing yet but are already feeling overwhelmed you may consider a removal packing service. Most moving companies offer that kind of service. If that is your first time moving, it can be very convenient because they experienced professionals have skills to keep your delicate belongings in exactly the same condition upon delivery.
Hiring a removal packing service means that anything that is packed by the moving company is covered by them (seeing that they packed it). In addition, they provide bubble wrap, foam,butchers paper, tape, specialized boxes, etc., to secure and protect all your valuable belongings in transit.
Packing can be challenging and sometimes difficult when viewed in the perspective of a whole house. In order to make your moving experience less daunting, below are some tips for packing your items effectively.
- Start packing as soon as possible – begin packing up the items you use less frequently like seasonal items, books, decorative pieces. Do that a few weeks before your move date. Keep the items you use every day until the end.
- Get your boxes ready for moving – reinforce the bottom of every box with packing tape, then place some crushed packing paper or newspaper at the bottom of the box for extra cushion. When packing, use more paper to prevent empty spaces.
- Make the most of your boxes – the less space your belongings have to move around in the box, the lower are the chances for them to get damaged. So, pack as much as you can into each box.
- Label boxes well – Pack different rooms in separate boxes and make sure to mark each of them with the contents and what room it needs to go.
- Pack essentials and valuables separately – Daily toiletries, medications, jewelry and important documents are items that you should keep with you during the move.